New York style cheesecake is the original cheesecake that originated in the early 1900s in New York. This is the cheesecake that put cheesecake on the map! The New York Style Cheesecake was created in the early 1900s by German immigrant Arnold Reuben who made the cheesecake richer and more flavorful than any other cheesecake at the time.
What makes a cheesecake a New York cheesecake?
What makes the New York Style Cheesecake different is that it is denser and creamier than other cheesecakes. It also has a more subtle flavor, which makes it a perfect dessert for any occasion.
The original recipe is made with cream cheese, eggs, sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract and is typically baked in a springform pan, with a graham cracker crust. This New York creamy dessert is set apart from other cheesecakes and is still considered the best of the best. While there are plenty of other city cheesecakes these days, none of them are as requested as the New York Cheesecake.
This Classic New York Style recipe is easy to follow, and the end result will be a delicious and creamy cheesecake.
To make a classic New York style cheesecake, you will need:
- Cream cheese – 3 packages (8 oz each)
- Eggs – 6
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- Heavy cream – 1 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Graham cracker crust – 1 (9 inch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the cheesecake is firm.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan if using a springform pan. Cool cheesecake completely on a wire rack before serving.
It is the perfect dessert for any occasion. This is the ultimate classic dessert that is sure to impress your guests.